The Wikwemikong Tribal Police Service (WTPS) invites all suitable and qualified candidates to apply for the position of Guard / Matron On-Call.
As a WTPS Detention Guard, you would monitor and safeguard persons in custody, documenting prisoner movement/activities, as per WTPS policy guidelines. Physical handling of prisoners is not a job requirement for Detention Guards. Any movement of Prisoners will be conducted by the WTPS.
- Observe and check prisoners frequently and regularly
- Monitor all prisoners to ensure their security and well-being
- Assist WTPS member(s) when required to search prisoners (training provided)
- Organize meals, record prisoner activity and maintain a prisoner activity logbook
- Maintain cleanliness and tidiness of cells when vacated or arrange janitor assistance
- Record and report any damages or repairs to cells
- Conduct search of cells prior to occupation and when cells are vacated
- Maintain cellblock security by ensuring cell doors are locked at all times
- Ensure cellblock keys are tagged and stored safely
- Ensure all personal effects removed from prisoners are properly secured
- Monitor fire safety and be fully conversant with fire orders
Required Skills, Knowledge & Abilities:
- At a minimum, Guards must meet the following educational and training qualifications prior to commencement of Guard duties:
- Ability to maintain confidentiality is a must.
- Must possess valid Ontario Class G Driver’s licence,
- Must pass background and investigation checks. NO criminal record for which a pardon has not been granted.
- Must have knowledge and understanding of community language, culture and traditions.
- Must be of good moral character.
- Conversant in Ojibway will be an asset.
- Basic computer skills
- Able to use both hands and occasionally manipulate/lift up to 20 kg
- Able to bend at the waist and climb stairs without restrictions or the use of assistive devices
- First Aid Training is a condition of employment for Detention Guards and must be obtained by the candidate prior to being hired. Required Level of First Aid is: St. John’s Ambulance – Emergency First Aid for industry, OFA level 1 (or Equivalent).
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply however; preference will be given to Wikwemikong members and persons who identify with Anishinaabe/First Nation Ancestry.
Please note: Duty-specific Guard training is provided to successful candidates prior to commencement of Guard duties. Refresher training will be provided to WTPS Guards on an annual basis.
Interested applicants are fill out a Guard Application and submit to:
Chief of Police
Wikwemikong Tribal Police Service
2074 Wikwemikong Way
P.O. Box 27
We thank all candidates who apply, however only those who are considered will be contacted.