The D.A.R.E. Program is designed for children in the grades of Five and Six, where students are between the ages of eleven and thirteen. This prepares them for middle and high school, where they are most likely to encounter pressures to use drugs and alcohol.
The curriculum helps children to increase their self-esteem and provides them with the knowledge and skills to help them to refuse drugs and resist violence focusing on:
- Providing material about the effects of drug use and drug abuse
- To develop skills in identifying and resisting pressure to experience with tobacco, alcohol and drugs
- To improve self-esteem in youth
- To provide a positive alternative to substance use and violent behaviour
- To assist in decision-making skills that help them recognize the consequences of the choices they make