Yes, however, if you are going to drive your ATV/ORV ON THE ROAD, including side of road and ditches, even just crossing the road, you need to know the following:
- Possess a valid G2 or M2 driver’s licence or higher (No one under the age of 16 may drive an ATV/ORV on the road)
- Have a permit for the vehicle (You must carry the permit or a true copy on your person)
- Have a licence plate on the vehicle (Registered to the ATV/ORV and correctly recorded on the permit)
- Have valid insurance on the ATV/ORV
- Wear a helmet that complies with regulations with the chin strap securely fastened under the chin
- All equipment must be in working order, including all lights, brakes, ignition, etc.
- Seatbelts must be worn for ORV/UTVs
- Where the speed limit is 50km/hr, a person driving an ATV may only travel at a speed of 20km/hr
- Where the speed limit is 80km/hr or above, a person driving an ATV may only travel at a speed of 50km/hr
What else should you know
- No passengers under the age of 8 can ride on the roadway
- ATV/ORV can travel on any backroad in Ontario as well as the shoulder of residential roads or highways.
- ATV/ORV’s must abide by all traffic laws while on the roadway or highway
- A police officer may stop any person driving an off-road vehicle and they must stop
- The driver of the off-road vehicle must identify themselves to police upon request
- ATV/ORV must be driven in the same direction as traffic
- Must have working headlights and taillights to drive at night.If you are going to drive your ATV/ORV OFF THE ROAD, including the side of road and ditches, even just crossing the road, you need to know the following:
- Your ATV must be registered and display a rear licence plate
- It must be insured under a motor vehicle liability policy
- Driver must be at least 12 years old unless directly supervised by an adult or while driving on land occupied by the owner of the ATV/ORV
- Carry the ATV/ORV’s registration permit or a true copy
- Must wear an approved motorcycle helmet, securely fastened under the chin with a chin strap.
- To cross the Highway/Roadway, the driver is at least 16 years old and has a minimum valid driver’s G2 or M2 licence