The Wikwemikong Tribal Police Service invites all suitable qualified candidates to apply for the position of Human Resources / Payroll Clerk.
Reporting to the Chief of Police, and working in collaboration with the Financial Controller, this position’s purpose is to provide Payroll support with a primary focus on confidential Human Resources. The incumbent will also process pension and benefit information, remittances, analyze data and prepare reports, and provide administrative support for Command Staff as well as assist with special projects related to the overall objectives of the WTPS as assigned.
Tasks may include but are not limited to the following:
- Processes payroll for salary and hourly employees, reconciles and verifies accuracy of payroll.
- Acts as a plan administrator for pension and benefit information for all employees and maintains complete and accurate records.
- Reconciles and pays government remittances while adhering to tight deadlines including source deductions, pension plan contributions, and miscellaneous withholdings to appropriate agencies.
- Prepares the Payroll Comparison report and other reports pertaining to payroll as required and ensures the timely processing of payroll related documents. Completes and submits Records of Employment (ROE).
- Provides payroll, pension and benefits information to employees referring complex questions and issues to the Chief of Police (Payroll, Benefits & Pension).
- Responsible for entering of data for new hires, transfers, terminations, leaves of absence, benefit and pension deductions, on call claims, stipends and garnishments.
- Prepares and processes confidential documents/forecasts/reports related to human resource management and employee and labour relations, hiring, terminations, etc.
- Prepares statistical information for internal/external stakeholders. Provides payroll information to the Finance Controller and to auditors when required.
- Conducts payroll orientations to hourly employees.
- Maintains records of employee leaves including vacation and other leaves of absences.
- Maintains accurate HR files both electronic and hardcopy; assists with the development and maintenance of an HRIS (Human Resource Information System); produces management reports and responds to queries.
- Assists the Command Staff with various special projects directly related to the overall objectives of the WTPS.
- Maintains an up to date knowledge of current and emerging payroll issues.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Postsecondary diploma in Payroll/Finance/Accounting/Administration from a College with Canadian accreditation, is an asset.
Certificates / Designations
- Payroll Compliance Practitioner (PCP) designation from the Canadian Payroll Association (CPA) is an asset.
- Minimum of one (1) year of experience working in Payroll in an automated HRIS/payroll environment, working with source deductions and benefit plans
- Experience working in a Unionized environment with Collective Agreements
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Computer office software (e.g., word processing, spreadsheets, Excel, Word, databases, email, internet)
- HR practices and procedures as relate to payroll, benefits, orientation, on-boarding
- Payroll administration practices and procedures
- Knowledge of employment standards and payroll related legislation including Freedom of Information & Protection of Privacy Act, Health Information Act
- Knowledge of the Canadian Payroll Association’s guidelines and Government of Canada guidelines regarding payroll
- Knowledge of Employment Standards and other applicable legislation related to payroll
- Compensation, pension and benefit packages
- The Occupational Health & Safety Act and Regulations that apply to the work being performed
- Multi-task in a high volume work environment
- Ability to work within tight deadlines
- Use discretion and maintain confidentiality
- Exercise initiative and judgment and make decisions within position’s scope of authority
- Analyzing data and preparing reports and charts such as typical HR Dashboards or demographics reports
- Must be able to communicate effectively in English (verbally, written and comprehension)
- Anishinnabemowin language skills would be considered and asset
- Valid Driver’s Licence.
- No Criminal Record and must pass back ground check.
For a complete employment application package please call the Wikwemikong Tribal Police Service, from Monday – Friday, from 8:00 AM to 4: 30 PM at (705) 859-3141 or call our toll free number at 1-866-684-1136 or visit our office at 2074 Wikwemikong Way, Wikwemikong, ON.
Interested applicants are to forward their completed employment package, a cover letter, detailed resume outlining their interests in the position, along with 3 work related references to:
Chief of Police
Wikwemikong Tribal Police Service
2074 Wikwemikong Way
P.O. Box 27
Closing Date: Monday, August 19, 2019 at 12:00 PM
We thank all candidates who apply, however only those who are considered will be contacted.