WIKWEMIKONG TRIBAL POLICE SERVICE CAREER OPPORTUNITY
Police Constable – 1 Year Contract Position
Position commences August, 2018
Wikwemikong Unceded First Nation
Wikwemikong, Manitoulin Island, Ontario
Chief of Police, Wikwemikong Tribal Police Service
The Police Constable shall be responsible to the Police Chief and will maintain law and order in a community based setting in order to establish peace and harmony within and around the designated territory.
- Degree in law and criminal justice an asset
- MUST have successfully completed post-secondary courses and possess a valid Applicant Testing Certificate as endorsed by the Ontario Association of Chiefs of Police
- MUST possess a valid Ontario Driver’s License in good standing, CPR and Standard First Aid Certificates
- Must have an awareness of First Nation culture and traditions
- NO criminal record for which a pardon has not been granted, as supported by an updated Criminal Reference Check (CPIC check), complete security check for local and external indices, CPIC check at applicant’s expense
- A Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident of Canada of 21 years of age
- Knowledge of First Nation, Federal and Provincial laws and statues
- Knowledge and understanding of community language, culture and traditions
- Ability to maintain confidentiality a MUST
- Ability to work shift work; comprised of both day and night shifts
- Typing and computer skills and knowledge of Word document programs
- All qualified candidate are encouraged to apply, however, preference will be given to persons who identify with Anishinaabe/First Nation Ancestry
- Experienced officer preferred, however, not an absolute term of employment
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT:
The anticipated start date is August, 2018. The successful candidate must pass a background check, comprised of reference CPIC and local police agency indices with submitted eye and medical examination prior to being offered the position.
Successful candidate MUST attend the 13 week Basic Recruit Training course at the Ontario Police College Aylmer, scheduled for September, 2018 and receive a Certificate of Graduation.
NOTE: Should an experience officer apply consideration as to salary merit level is open for discussion
In addition the candidate must provide consent for a background information check. Candidates must also be willing to reside within or within the immediate community vicinity.
APPLICANTS MUST PROVIDE THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION:
- Cover letter
- A complete and valid CPIC Check, as completed by an accredited police agency
- Personal Resume noting credits/courses/training etc
- Photocopy of valid Ontario Police College graduation diploma (experienced officer)
- Photocopy of valid CPR and First Aid Certificate
- Photocopy of valid Ontario Driver’s License
- Photocopy of valid Applicant Testing Certificate as supported by the Ontario Association of Chiefs of Police
- Completed medical certificate and eye examination
- 3 written references, whom are not directly related to the applicant
- Completed Application package which may be obtained at the Wikwemikong Tribal Police office during administrative hours, by telephone, writing to the Chief of Police, at address listed below.
NOTE: Failure to include the above mandatory screening requirements will result in a non-interview selection. Preference will be given to persons who identify with Anishinaabe/First Nation Ancestry.
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
In adherence to the present Memorandum of Understanding with the Wikwemikong Police Association, terms of employment, pension, salary, health benefits for both, single or married applicants, are competitive with other police services in the Province of Ontario
Please forward with completed employment application package and all necessary information and noted mandatory attachments no later than Friday, June 1st, 2018 at 4:00PM.
For a complete employment application package please call the Wikwemikong Tribal Police Service Monday through Friday during regular administrative hours at 1-705-859-3141 or toll free at 1-866-684-1136 and ask for the senior receptionist whom will respond to your request. No emails please.
Forward completed resume with ALL itemized and required attachments to: (please forward photocopies of documents only do not send originals)
Please send complete application to:
Wikwemikong Chief of Police
Wikwemikong Tribal Police Service
2074 Wikwemikong Way, P.O. Box 27
Please note that all applications received will be screened and only those selected will be extended a personal interview.